Sunday, October 23, 2011

Pumkins and Lentils

It's officially Fall (although you can't tell by the weather outside).  We differentiate between the seasons here by putting up different paintings over the mantle to show that there has been a change, despite the persistent high of ninety degrees in South Texas.

This time I decided to rip off an idea from a Southern Living magazine.

Inspiration:
My rendition:

Jeffrey thinks it looks a little like the Canadian flag, and has been known to salute it while singing "Oh, Canada."  The artist in me does NOT appreciate this type of standing ovation for my efforts.

But paintings aren't the only way I've been celebrating Fall.  There have also been pumpkins.

My friend Amanda started a craft night once a month for some friends who live in San Antonio.  This month's craft was, of course, carving pumpkins.  Amanda always decorates beautifully for any party that she throws, and this one was no different.  There was even a doormat that senses when someone arrives and invites them to "enter if they dare" complete with scary vampire laughter!






Usually Jeffrey and I aren't much for nicknames, but I guess all this Fall spirit has gotten to me, because yesterday I suddenly found myself calling Jeffrey "pumpkin."  He, being a warm-blooded American male, did not care for this nickname, but instead of just asking me to stop, he decided to get even.

I have since been referred to as his little squash, cucumber, green bean, and (my personal favorite) lentil.

Now at night it sounds like this at our house:

Lauren:  Goodnight, my little pumpkin.  I love you.
Jeffrey:  Goodnight, lentil.  I love you.
Together:  Goodnight, Dixie, our little turnip.
Lauren:  [uncontrollable giggles]

No comments:

Post a Comment