Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The Best Laid Plans

Saturday, May 26th

So I mentioned in the last post that I had Saturday planned beautifully, down to the minute, in fact.  That much is true.  But Saturday was not to go according to plan.

The morning started out with a CPR course that I had signed up for a little bit on a whim.  (We're required to have current CPR certification when we apply for our license from the state board, and mine was set to expire at the end of June, meaning that it might expire while it was at the state board, so I felt like I needed to renew before graduation.  I decided this approximately 2 weeks before graduation, and this meant that the only option was Saturday, May 26th.)  I signed up for the course online and it said that it would be over at noon.  Perfect!  I thought.  Because my friends from ACU had planned a baby shower for me at 2 pm that day.  Plenty of time to change clothes and spruce up between events.

Problem #1:  I woke to the sound of Dixie barfing on her dog bed at 6 am.  That is not a good way to start a day.  After I cleaned that up, I decided that going back to sleep would be pointless because the CPR course started at 8.

Problem #2:  The CPR course did not start at 8.  As I was driving to pick up my friend, Maegan, before the course, she called me and said that she had just double-checked and the class didn't start until 9.  Great.  I went back to the house, packed a couple more boxes, and then left (again) to pick up Maegan at the right time.

Problem #3:  At 11:30, Maegan and I realized that there was no way our rather long-winded CPR instructor was going to wrap this class up in the next half hour.  Hoping to urge him along, during a break I asked him, "Umm...does this course not end at noon?"  He said, "No, it ends at 1 pm."  Maegan and I politely disagreed with him (since both of us had double checked the times this morning on our confirmation emails due to the issue with trying to figure out what time the course started).  He argued with us a little and pulled out the course website to prove to us that he was right.  He was incorrect--they had made a typo on their own website.  The course was supposed to say 9-1, but instead it said 9-12.  I told the guy that I had a baby shower to go to, and to his credit, he rushed through the rest of the curriculum so that we got finished by 12:30. 

Problem #4:  CPR guy has just run into my lunch hour.  That is a major problem for a pregnant lady.

I dropped Maegan off at her house and called Jeffrey to ask him to make me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich so that I could have a quick lunch, change clothes, and get ready for the shower.  When I walked into my house at 1 pm, I was greeted by Jeffrey, Jeffrey's family, my lovingly prepared peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and a million people.  Don't misunderstand, I wasn't unhappy to see my relatives and Jeffrey's, but all at once during an already-hectic moment, there were several aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, etc all clamoring for our attention. 

I finally managed to get upstairs, slam my sandwich, change my clothes and put on a little make up, then it was time for the shower.

The shower was absolutely wonderful!

My friends Amanda Lee, Dabney Fletcher, and Sylvia Mack were the hostesses and they really did a fantastic job planning and decorating the entire thing.  The theme was "Little Mister" and the girls challenged everybody to bring a onesie to see if I could guess who brought which one.  It was really hard at first because there were several options for some of them (an ACU onesie could have been from one of many ACU supporters/alumni that were in attendance) but others were really obvious, like my Aunt Cindy's that had dogs on it and included a doggie neck roll just like she got Leslie and me for Christmas one year.  The onesie game was fun and then I had even more presents after that!  Carter really got showered at this party.  He got a stroller and carseat from Mom-O, a high chair from Nana, and a crib from Grandmother (we just set that up--I'll do a post on Carter's room sometime soon). 



The hostesses!  Amanda, Dabney, and Sylvia.









Problem #5:  I didn't realize until that very moment that this would likely be my final goodbye to the sweet girls who threw the shower for me, and it hit me hard emotionally.  We were staying in San Antonio for a few days following graduation, but we knew they would be busy days and probably wouldn't allow for time visiting friends.  As I tried to say thank you and goodbye to the girls, I started to cry.  I rushed out to avoid a full-out pregnant lady sob-fest, because (you guessed it), the day wasn't over yet!  Luckily Sylvia and her husband Ryan are also moving to Temple, and even more luckily we live in the 21st century, so Amanda and Dabney are always a call, text, or email away!

Once again I came home and did a quick change of outfit to prepare for our next event--a dual graduation party for Jeffrey and me at an Italian restaurant called Zio's.  Our parents threw the party and it was a great success--lots of attendees drove in from out of town, including Jerry and JV Johnson, who acted as the photographers for the night.  So nice!










Mom and Dad with the gift we gave them.  Jeffrey and I both framed pictures of us at around age 1 and in our graduation regalia with the caption "We've come a long way, baby!"  We so appreciate our parents' support over a lifetime, but especially in the last 4 years.

My Uncle Gary gave me a set of extraction forceps that are engraved with my initials.  I used them immediately!



Problem #6:  The day STILL wasn't over.  After the graduation party, we needed help to load up Grampy's trailer for our move to Temple.  Once again, we all changed clothes and met at the house to pack up.  I have to say that our moving crew was wonderful.  Let's be honest:  moving is not fun, and there were several people who helped that we didn't even ask--they just volunteered!  A big thanks to Grampy, Robert, Jenny, Darren, Melinda, Rebekah, Greg, Courtney, Zach, Andy, and (of course) Jeffrey for getting us packed.  They did an excellent job, but even with their help it took until about 11 pm to get the trailer loaded and secured.  We were pooped!  (By the way, someone somewhere has a picture of our moving crew and the incredibly well-packed trailer...I'd love to see that picture someday!)

After all that excitement, we collapsed into bed to get a good night's sleep before graduation the next day.

1 comment:

  1. This post makes me wish that we lived closer to Texas so we could celebrate little Mister Edwards with you guys. You are the cutest pregnant girl ever!

    ReplyDelete