Sunday, July 1, 2012

School is Cool; Jobs are Kooler

Monday, May 28th
Jeffrey and I frantically alternated between packing and cleaning the day after graduation.  We loaded up Jeffrey's parents' flatbed trailer, my parent's suburban, and my grandparents' motorhome with almost all of our remaining stuff.  (Our motto was "Uhauls are for suckers.")

Once the furniture and boxes were all loaded, we all drove to Rogers where Grampy had fixed a Memorial Day meal for the entire moving crew.  Grilled BBQ chicken, sweet corn on the cob, fresh from the farm salad--delicious! 

The move in crew all went to their respective homes by late afternoon, and Jeffrey and I drove back to San Antonio because...

Tuesday, May 29th
I got an interview!  A new Kool Smiles dental office was scheduled to open in July, and a recruiter had contacted me about the position.  This was such good news because up until this point the job prospects for me in Temple had been sparse, and I was starting to feel very disheartened.  I never understood the desperation and helplessness one feels during a difficult job search, but I do now.  The only caveat to this interview was that I needed to go to Dallas to meet with one of the supervisors.  Nevermind that I had just been to Rogers and back, had a baby shower, graduated, and watched my husband graduate.  When they said, "Interview;" I said, "How high?" To Dallas I drove on Tuesday, and stayed with my grandparents that night.

Wednesday, May 31st
I interviewed with a dentist who has worked with Kool Smiles for many years and who was very kind.  So many people were praying for me during this interview, and I know those prayers were heard because the interviewer and I had so much in common (including a background in the Church of Christ), easily talked to each other, and the interview concluded with him saying, "I'm going to call the corporate office now and give you my highest recommendation.  I expect you will have a job offer by the end of the day."  I've never heard sweeter words in my life.  After the interview I drove to Temple to meet Jeffrey (he had had to stay in San Antonio to meet the carpet cleaners and do the walk-through with the realtor prior to move-out) because the next day we were scheduled to move into our new house!  Late Wednesday night I did, indeed, get a job offer from Kool Smiles.  Spoiler alert--I took it!

There is one part of the moving story I haven't told you, mostly because it deserves its own post--coming soon to a theater near you:  The Great FedEx Fiasco, starring Jeffrey and Lauren Edwards.

1 comment:

  1. You are one Kool cat, Lauren Edwards! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete