Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Drill Skill


Yesterday in the lab we got to use our dental drills for the first time to cut down a plastic tooth in preparation to put a metal crown on it. We were given explicit instructions that included measurements (literally) to the 1/2 millimeter as to how far we were supposed to drill in certain places. We were also told to be very cautious about not drilling the teeth neighboring our current tooth in the model.

For a first-time crown prep, I was told that I did well with the tooth I drilled. On the other hand, if I had actually done that work in a patient's mouth, I would have had to fill both of the neighboring teeth (to even out the erratic gouges I accidentally put in them) and probably perform some sort of tissue graft to replace the gingiva that I nicked during the procedure. I also cut my own pinkie finger a little bit with the drill.

One good tooth, two damaged teeth, battered gingiva, and one personal injury. Nope--I'm not quite finished with my learning here at dental school. Thank goodness we practice on plastic teeth first! I told my dad this story today, and he revoked his earlier offer to be my first "real" patient.

I pinkie promise (with my uninjured pinkie) that I will get better before I work on any of you, blog readers. But Dad, someone's gotta be first. Take one for the team.

No comments:

Post a Comment