Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Quote Quota

Warning: Perhaps the only person who will find this post as amusing as me is my mom, the English teacher. Maybe you can even use this in your class, Mom. And by the way, I promise I'll stop posting things about grammar and punctuation--after a post on diction a few days ago and now one on quotation marks, my blog is becoming less entertaining than an MLA handbook!

I stumbled upon a new website recently called unnecessaryquotes.com. (In case you didn't understand from the name, the blog is a collection of pictures of signs that have unnecessary quotation marks. Hence the name.)

I don't know why these make me laugh so much. Maybe because I generally use a different inflection (in my head) when I read words that are within quotation marks. Maybe I just find punctuation errors funnier than the average normal person. I've probably even been guilty of overusing these little punctuations, but some of these signs are REALLY ridiculous! Here are a few examples from the website.
The use of quotation marks around the words "safe" and "comfortable" make me wonder: do the quotation marks mean "relatively safe" and "mildly comfortable?"
Ok, this is just wrong. Where was that little helpful Microsoft paperclip guy when the store owner typed this up?
"Give me" 5? As in: You don't actually have to give me 5, just figuratively.
Rice is "back"...and for those who didn't get Justin Timberlake's memo, so is "sexy."
Underlining and bolding words make them more emphatic. Quotations make them...in this case...wrong.
Reason #6 to complete "high school."

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lauren,
    I, too, am a grammar/punctuation nerd/nazi and these made me laugh out loud! They really "amused" me! Just kidding about the quotation marks, but this post was hilarious! Let's just hope these people are not native English speakers...
    Hope you're having a good summer! See you soon!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete