Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Criminals and Costumes

I read the news fairly regularly on aol.com. Aol.com fairly regularly posts ridiculous "news stories" (I have to put this in quotes because I don't really know if they count as news). Yesterday, among all my favorite stories about Jon and Kate + 8 + Hate - Jon + lawyers = 4X +2, I found this gem:

"Michael Jackson's 'This is it' heals the world"

I could not bring myself to click on the link to this story. Allow me first to apologize to all of you MJ lovers out there--I'm sorry. Now that I've apologized, let me say that this headline is ridiculous. His documentary healed the world? Was the world terminally ill with need-a-crotch-grab-itis? Was the world in need of one sparkly glove that Michael gave up and wore the other? I think not.

Today AOL published a much more interesting article about 2 women/thieves in Pennsylvania to whom the judge had handed down a public humiliation sentence. The women, who are mother and daughter, stole a gift card from a 9 year-old girl on her birthday at Walmart. When they were caught, the judge offered them jail time for petty theft or standing for several hours in front of the courthouse with signs describing their crime. They chose the latter.
I love the fact that the punishment fits the crime, but it's a little Scarlet Letter-ish don't you think, Mom?

Also, for your viewing pleasure, here are a few pictures of Jeffrey and me in our Halloween costumes from this year. I went as Barbie and Jeffrey went as "God's gift to women," a costume idea we stole from a college friend.
My friend Carly went as Elle Woods from Legally Blonde, but without her little stuffed dog, she could also have been Barbie. We tried to take a picture of ourselves giving a "Barbie hug," you know, the kind you give without separating your fingers or moving your wrists or bending anywhere but the torso. Carly's brother asked us if we were robot barbies.
I told him that we were, and that all our accessories are sold separately.

As it turns out, Jeffrey may not be God's gift to women, but he is certainly God's gift to me. I emailed him today after we got to school because I realized that I had forgotten to pack a lunch. I asked him if he thought I should buy something from our overpriced school places or try and fight the traffic to go home and come back. He replied, "It's no big deal, just buy something at school--it won't throw off the budget that much. If you do buy something, buy something semi-healthy--if you eat sour skittles and pop tarts for lunch, I'm going to be mad at you."
How did he know?!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment