Sunday, January 31, 2010

Weekend Update

How quickly January has come and gone! Dental school sometimes feels like some sort of time warp--some days it feels like you look down at a book to study and when you look up a month has gone by. The good part about that situation is that there are only a few months left until I start working in the clinic on real patients. The bad part is that there are still quite a few hurdles to jump over before I get there.

One such hurdle is a practical that we took last week. Technically, there were two practicals that were taken consecutively. The first was the preparation of a tooth for a metal crown; the second was to make a temporary crown to fit on top of the prepared tooth.

To make the temporary, we were given a sort of "ready made" crown like this:

The point of the practical was to make some minor modifications on the premade crown, then fill it with some acrylic goo and make it fit properly to the tooth. Unfortunately for me, we were only given 3 crowns to use for practice. Here's what happened with my 3 practice crowns...

Practice crown #1: I forgot to put Vaseline on the tooth, so when I stuck the crown on with the acrylic goo in it, the acrylic hardened and trapped the crown on the tooth. I used the hemostats (fancy dental term for "grabber tool") to grab the crown and pull it off. Instead of pulling off the crown, the hemostats ripped a huge hole in the side of the crown. Once I finally got the crown taken off, I realized that I had forgotten yet another preparation step because the acrylic was still trapped on the tooth. I scrapped those materials and decided to start again.

Practice crown #2: I remembered to put Vaseline on this time, so the crown came off without a hitch. This crown looked really promising...until I accidentally trimmed off the bottom of it with my drill. And that was the end of #2.

Practice crown #3: On practice #3, I remembered to put Vaseline on, didn't drill anything important off, but somehow the crown ended up still not quite right.

Needless to say, I was quite nervous going into the practical (never having made a good temporary crown in my practice time), but somehow it mostly came together...at least, I thought so. You never can tell until you get the grades back, though!

One other school update: I just came across the word "biopsychosociocultural" as in "A person is a biopsychosociocultural being who is constantly adapting to his or her environment." First of all, I don't even think that "biopsychosociocultural" is a word. Secondly, do you really think that's the best way to define "person?" Sometimes people (dental school professors) make things harder than is necessary.

Last night I had a babysitting job watching a 5 year-old boy and a 2 1/2 year-old girl. The kids were really fun to play with and it's not too bad to make a little money, either!

Jeffrey and I have recently decided to volunteer in the nursery on Sunday mornings at our church. Hopefully it will help us get our "baby fix" and the nursery has been desperately understaffed lately, so it's a great place for us to serve. It seems that my choice of accessories has helped me to win some points with the little girls at our church, too, so hopefully we will be good to go in the nursery. Today (for the second week in a row) a little girl at church who didn't even know me reached out for me to hold her because she wanted to see the pearls I was wearing! I told both little girls to let their dads know that every little girl needs a set of pearls to wear to church like mine. Unfortunately for the dad today, he has 3 baby girls--a set of triplets! He'll need quite a few pearls to accessorize his family.
I've been lucky enough to get pearls from my parents, my grandpa, and my sweet husband, so I have plenty to wear every Sunday to church. (By the way, Jeffrey bought me flowers last week for no reason at all--don't I have a great husband?)

Well, that's the update for this weekend. Ready or not, February comes tomorrow--have a happy week.

No comments:

Post a Comment