Thursday, March 4, 2010

Ketchup

Once again, I've fallen behind on my blogging. Boo, school! Let's ketchup...

Fortunately, I have lots of actual news to share, not just the usual "my teacher's pants fell off today in class" fare.

First of all, I must tell you about my anti-Valentine's day party from last month. Two girls in my dental school class who live in our apartment complex throw a party every year on Valentine's Day, but make the theme anti-Valentine's Day. All invitees are encouraged to wear black, come dateless, and generally embody a sad, lonesome spirit in keeping with the party's theme. To be honest, we didn't all mope around together--we may have been wearing black, but we all had a great time eating and hanging out together.

The hostesses had asked people to bring food to the party so that we could have a full dinner for about 20 people. I offered to bring a cake for dessert, and the girls asked that it go with the anti-V-Day theme. I asked my sister, Leslie, how I should decorate the cake (because she's much more artistic and creative than I am) and she said that I should pipe icing onto the cake in the shape of cupid tied up in a rope...

...umm....really great idea, but there's no way that my amateur cake decorating skills were going to get that one done. Instead I decided to use a chocolate fondant icing on the cake accented with pink frills and a big pink heart on the top--which I then stabbed with my biggest kitchen knife so that it would be very anti-V-Day!




The cake was a big hit at the party and everyone had a great time until about 10 pm when there was a knock at the door. We had all been out on the patio laughing and talking (apparently a little too loudly) because the police were at the door! Someone in the apartment had complained about the noise, so they made all of us leave the party at 10 pm on a Friday night! I already felt sheepish at the thought of having to walk past the officers on my way out of the party like a common criminal, but when I remembered that I would be holding my "stabbed in the heart" cake as I made my walk of shame, I turned bright red.

*As an aside--my favorite part of the party was NOT when the cops came, but when my friend, Carly, locked herself inside the bathroom. We kept hearing knocking and checking the front door until someone realized that the knocking was coming from inside the house!

After making that cake, my creative side must have just really taken over because I finished the sweater I've been knitting for Jeffrey since October! It took tons of time and effort, but I was really happy with the end result, and Jeffrey is so proud of it. Here are some pictures.




It's not perfect by any means and I probably won't be starting up a knitting business anytime soon, but it was a great way to unwind at night before bed and I enjoyed every stitch. Unfortunately Jeffrey only got to wear it twice because summer sets in around March 1st here in San Antonio, but he'll get to sport it again next winter.

Finally, our biggest news is that we're moving! We looked for, found, and signed a lease on a house that's still very close to school and is (hopefully) perfect for us. We will be renting the house for the remainder of our time at school. It has quite a bit more space than our little apartment and is much more quiet. I don't have any pictures of it now, but we'll be moving in on March 15th, so you can expect to see some pictures a while after that.

For now, the packing has commenced. This week has been my Spring Break, so I've been packing up things, little by little, and thought I was doing really well until Jeffrey pointed out to me this afternoon that I have stacked so many boxes on one of our walls that we can no longer reach the pictures that are hung on that wall. Oh well...maybe that picture can stay--but we're outta here!

No comments:

Post a Comment