Wednesday, June 9, 2010

System Failure


I've been studying 3 or 4 hours a day for my dental board exam for the last three weeks, but my test is now 12 days away, so it's time to kick the intensity up a notch or two.

I made a review of information from several classes, books, power points, and other resources, and discovered at the end that the amount of pages on my "concise" review numbered close to 400. Gross.

I decided that instead of printing all those pages from my own printer (which would mean buying ink cartridge refills every 3 minutes) I'd have them printed by a store. After a little bit of googling, I found that I could submit my document online to the UPS store and let them print it and bind it, then pick it up the next day (today) around 2 pm.

Today at 1:45 pm I got a call....

Phone: Ring---Ring---Ring
Me: (I'll bet they're calling to say my papers are ready) Hello?
UPS: Hi, Mrs. Edwards? This is Sylvia at the UPS store. I'm calling to let you know that your order will not be ready at 2 today because our system is down.
Me: Ok, well when do you think it will be ready?
UPS: I don't know because the system is down and we don't know when it will be back up. It's been down for the last three days.
Me: You know, I just placed this order last night and there were no warnings or anything that the system was down. The people in charge really shouldn't let you place orders when the system is down.
UPS: Yeah...
Me: So can you transfer my order to a different store? This is kinda time-sensitive...
UPS: No. The system is down, so we can't transfer anything.
Me: Ok, then can you just cancel that order because I need to get that printed by someone else.
UPS: No. The system is down, so I can't cancel anything.
Me: (At this point, I really wanted to sarcastically ask, "Oh, is your system down or something?" but I didn't. Because my mom taught me better than that.) Ok. Who can I talk to? Who can transfer or cancel things?
UPS: I don't know.
Me: You don't have any supervisor numbers?
UPS: No.
Me: Do you have a customer service hotline?
UPS: No. You could look online.
Me: Umm...thanks for your help?

Today I've spent 2 hours talking to different people at the home office, local store, and technical support. I still have no document, no transfer capability, and no way to cancel my order, which has already been charged to my credit card.

Why can't things ever just go the way they're supposed to?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment