Thursday, June 10, 2010

Welcome to the Jungle

When Jeffrey and I moved into our new house, the backyard looked like this:




That's right, some of the weeds were as tall as Jeffrey's waist! It took a solid two months of weeding, watering, and care to get the yard looking like it does now. Jeffrey mowed and edged the back and front yard today, and this is what it looks like now:
Yay!!! Victory has been declared over the weeds. (And it's a good thing, too--those weeds were getting so big before that we were starting to worry that they would organize into a rebel weed force that would take over the entire neighborhood beginning with our yard.)

As an added bonus, I found another yard surprise today. I've written before about how I didn't know that the flower bed in the front yard had two rose bushes in it until it started to bloom this spring. I had noticed that one of the many pots the previous tenants had left behind had begun to sprout some leaves that looked like some kind of bulb plant like an iris. I never watered it or moved it--just left it alone to see if it would bloom. Lo and behold, today when I went out to admire my husband's yard work, I saw the the mystery plant had bloomed into two blush-pink calla lilies!

I love flower surprises.

As a follow-up from yesterday's post, I need to let you all know that I did get my review printed by the UPS store (finally) early last night. The manager went to great lengths to get it done, and gave it to me free of charge. I think he might have just given it to me free because he felt sorry for me, though, because when he gave me the 400 page book of science crud he laughed and said, "Better you than me."

I'm on page 70 right now, but I had to stop and smell the roses/calla lilies...

No comments:

Post a Comment