Wednesday, February 9, 2011

4th grade or 3rd year?

Last night Jeffrey and I yelled at each other quite a bit. Not because we were mad, just because that's how married people who live in a two-story house talk.

Anyway, last night Jeffrey yelled to me, "LAUREN, WHERE IS THE COMPUTER CORD THAT TRANSFERS PICTURES FROM THE CAMERA TO THE COMPUTER?"

I yelled back, "IN THE FRONT POCKET OF MY BACKPACK."

He then replied, "WHY ARE YOU A FOURTH GRADER?"

I said, "WHAT?"

At this point we both walked to the stairs because the yelling was getting ridiculous.

Jeffrey: "The only things in the front pocket of your backpack are sunglasses, markers, and Hershey's kiss wrappers. Why are you a fourth grader?"

Lauren: "Wrong pocket. Look in the front pocket, not the tiny mesh pocket. And regarding the fourth grader comment--I am rubber you are glue, whatever you call me bounces off and sticks to you."

Since we had our little yelling match turned stairway rendezvous, I can't stop thinking of the many similarities between me and the fourth grade version of myself. Examples:
My lunch often consists of applesauce, animal crackers, and string cheese.

I still say "cutter cutter peanut butter" when someone jumps ahead in line.

I like markers more than pens.

I write in cursive all the time. (Technically, this one's not my fault. My fourth grade teacher repeatedly told us "in fifth grade your teachers will ONLY let you write in cursive." Being the sweet little submissive girl that I was/am, I acquiesced, only to find out that all the teachers in fifth grade preferred printing. Too late, I was hooked on cursive--but never on phonics.)

The laces on my tennis shoes constantly come untied.

I eat lucky charms and smores pop tarts for breakfast. (Not at the same time. Can you say diabetes?)

Favorite movies I've seen recently? Despicable Me and How to Train your Dragon. Both cartoons.

So maybe I'm not quite as grown up as I appear to be. Apparently 20 years of formal education doesn't quite train the kid out of you. Or teach you that string cheese and smores pop tarts don't have a place in a healthy food pyramid.

1 comment:

  1. LOVED How to Train Your Dragon... it was really wonderful!

    ReplyDelete