Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Somebody's goin' to emergency...

Summer has officially started. What does that mean? It means I'm already back at school.

WHAT?!?!

Our school curriculum requires, among other things, that we choose a 2 week selective to complete during our summer break. I'm a little offended at the name "selective," mostly because I don't think selective is a real word. I do appreciate that they didn't call it an "elective" because no one would "elect" to do extra work in the summer, but then again, making up a nicer word doesn't make the pain go away. Just like calling pain "discomfort" at the dental office doesn't make it hurt less.

Anyway, I "selected/elected" to do a rotation in oral surgery. I used to like oral surgery, or at least I used to before the last three days.

Day 1--My patient had a 5 alarm, flopping around in the chair like a fish, oxygen tank requiring, panic attack. What horrible thing did I do to him to make him have this amount of anxiety? Put on topical anesthetic. For those of you who haven't been tortured through 3 years of dental school, let me explain what that is...topical anesthetic is that numbing gel that the dentist puts on with a Q-tip before giving an injection. Essentially, my patient is so afraid of dentists that Q-tips put raise his blood pressure so high that he requires medical assistance.

Day 2--My patient whined through her entire extraction of a tooth that was so loose she could have taken it out herself with a strong sneeze. Then she asked for a trash can and as I held it over toward her, she threw up in it. Vomit was approximately 1 inch from my fingers.

Day 3--94 year old wheels into my operatory in a wheelchair carrying a bad of at least 4000 medications. Considering my record of medical emergencies this week, I almost started hyperventilating when I saw how many complications awaited this patient. Luckily, I was bailed out because the man takes blood thinners and we couldn't work on him until he takes a few days off from his blood thinning meds. Phew!

No comments:

Post a Comment