Monday, October 19, 2009

I Spy Alumni


Last weekend Jeffrey and I went to Abilene for ACU's Homecoming--Go Wildcats! And though the #1 ranked mighty Wildcats lost their big football game, we still managed to somehow have a great time visiting friends and family.

One thing I learned while I was back in A-town was that we have quite a few more "blog stalkers" (do you think the term "blolkers" could catch on to describe that?) than I realized. Never fear, you who creep onto our blog in anonymity, I actually like blolkers. Few things make me as happy as looking down at our little map that shows how many hits we've gotten on our little website and seeing a big number. The only thing that would make me happier is for you to actually leave a comment every once-in-a-while so that I don't feel like I'm writing this blog to no one.

For all you blolkers who were concerned about my make-up test that I wrote about in my last post--here's the rest of the story...

Dr. X just stopped emailing me completely after the first eleven unsuccessful attempts at communication. Once the week of the test arrived, I decided that I had to go to the next level--I made a meeting with the department chair. The department chair assured me that he would take care of the problem, and incredibly he somehow got Dr. X to email me that very day with a make-up test date. (On the other hand, he's probably mad that I went over his head, so I'm interviewing for a job as a trash truck driver in the morning in case Dr. X flunks me out of dental school.)

As I was thinking today about what to write on this post, I started to think back on my high school's homecoming, and suddenly my thoughts settled on mums. Remember homecoming mums? A custom that could only be popular in the great state of Texas, mums absolutely consumed the thoughts of any junior high or high school student at my school. If you didn't have a boyfriend you had to get one around homecoming, otherwise your parents would have to buy your mum and instead of saying "Bobby" or "Jeremy" in glittery letters on silvery ribbon your mum would have a big fat ribbon that read "I love you schnookems!"

And the problems didn't end if you had a boyfriend, either. A mum that was too small clearly said, "I'm going to break up with you after the homecoming dance in the cafetorium tonight." A mum that was too big said, "You are definitely going to trip over this on the way to your seat in the bleachers at the game." Talk about being trapped between a rock and a hard place!

The following are my rules for successful mum-wearing...complete with pictures of real people that I got off of blogs that I stalked tonight. (See--it's ok to blog stalk--everybody's doing it!)

Rule #1: The mum is too big if it literally knocks you over.

Rule #2: It is NOT ok to rock the "one mum per boob" look.

Rule #3: The mum is too big if it is larger than your entire head. (But it will make your hips look smaller--just like wearing black!

Rule #4: If your mum is so big that it covers your entire body, your boyfriend hates you--he is trying to choke you with mum material. There is no other reason that one should give a gift containing such exorbitant amounts of ribbon and string.

Rule #5: If your mum turns your crew-neck t-shirt into a v-neck, it's too heavy, and you are risking permanent neck damage by wearing it.

1 comment:

  1. so jealous that you guys got to go to homecoming. I've said that to every person that we know that went last weekend. and thank you for numerous rules/pictures on the mums--I would like to add a rule if that's okay with you-"If your significant other misspells your name on the mum, it's obvious that he's really not that into you--even if you have been "going out" for 2 weeks." I don't have a picture with me, but I have a picture at my parents in NM.

    ReplyDelete