Thursday, October 8, 2009

Miss Communication


I'm having a little communication problem with one of my teachers. It all started when I made a dental appointment with my uncle in Abilene for the Friday of ACU Homecoming. I made the appointment for that day because we only had two hours of lecture scheduled for that day, and I figured that both teachers (at the dental school) would excuse an absence for a dental appointment!

Unfortunately for me, my class voted to change the date of another class's final examination to that Friday. As soon as I found out about the conflict I emailed the teacher of that course--we'll call him Dr. X. [enter problems]

Friday, September 25th, 2009
Me, in an email: Dr. X, My class voted to move our final exam in your class to October 16th. Since our original schedule had an open afternoon, I had scheduled a dental appointment in another city. Is there any way that I could take the final exam for your class at an earlier or later date? Thank you. Lauren

Saturday...Sunday...Monday...

Tuesday, September 29th, 2009
Dr. X, in an email: We will work it out. What time is your appointment?

Tuesday, September 29th, 2009
Me, in an email: Dr. X--My appointment is not at the school--it is in Abilene, a city that is 3.5 hours away by car. I will not be at school at all on October 16th. We will need to work out another date for me to take it. Would you like me to come by your office to figure out a day? Thanks. Lauren

Wednesday...Thursday...Friday...Saturday...Sunday...Monday (I go by his office--he isn't there)...

Tuesday, October 6th, 2009
Me (frustrated), in an email: Dr. X--Sorry to bother you, but I was just wondering if you had figured out a date when I could take my final for your class. I understood from your last email that you didn't mind me taking it on another date, but I hadn't heard back from you about when that would be. Please let me know at your earliest convenience. Thank you. Lauren

Wednesday, October 7th, 2009
Dr. X, in an email: When do you expect to return from your appointment?

Wednesday, October 7th, 2009
Me, thinking to myself: OH MY GOSH!! Am I speaking in tongues? Have I been communicating poorly? Am I going nuts? What is going on?
Me, in an email: Dr. X--I will return on Sunday, October 18th around 5 pm.

Thursday, October 8th, 2009
Me, talking to myself: "Do not go insane...do not go insane...do not go insane..."

Still haven't heard back from Dr. X after my last email. Hopefully I'll hear tomorrow and tell you the rest of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment