Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore...

Well, I knew there would be tests of character in this new chapter of my life, but to be honest--I didn't think the tests would start so soon. An email was sent out to our entire class about a "Reference Archive" that is being sold for $125. The "RA" includes practice tests, notes from classes, and other helpful resources for first-year students. The email mentioned the fact that this RA is known to the teachers, but that we shouldn't tout the fact that we had one. I thought that price was a little steep, so I facebooked a friend who is already in school there to ask him about it. He told me that the RA is actually a collection of materials gathered both illegally and legally and compiled to help students (essentially) cheat in their first year on some of their harder classes. Certain teachers apparently don't change their tests from year to year, so students can just pass along the answers to the next class...for a price. My friend said that he was one student out of four who found the use of this RA unethical. The other 94 students used it all year.

My thoughts on the matter went as follows:

If teachers know about this, why aren't they putting a stop to it? Or at least changing their tests from year to year...

I guess I shouldn't use the RA...

I kind of want to use the RA...especially since pretty much everyone will be using one, and if I don't I'll probably not make as good of grades as they do...

Final thought--(in whiny voice)--It's not fair...too hard!

Anyway, on a much lighter note, Jeffrey provided me with much humor today when he attempted to fix some cables from our TV and instead bumped his back on the corner of the mantle. Shortly after his "Ouch-that-hurt" dance, he went over to measure something near the china hutch and banged his head on the top of it. It was like watching a scene from The Three Stooges...except there was just the one. Don't worry, though, the little booger only got a bruise and a headache. And once I finished giggling, I went and got him some Advil.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to read about all that is happening in your world. Huge blessings to you and Jeffrey.

    ReplyDelete