Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Great Potato Peel Fiasco 2008

Jeffrey and I are having some friends over for dinner tomorrow night, but I won't get out of gross anatomy lab until five...or six...or later--Boo!

In an attempt to have dinner ready on time for tomorrow, I started cooking tonight. First item on the agenda: mashed potatoes. Not a difficult dish to make, but a bit of a process. I took the potatoes, peeled them in the sink, and cut them into pieces to put into the big boiling pot of water. After all the pieces were in the pot, I went back to the sink to dispose of the potato peels--and that's when the disaster started.

I turned on the disposal and the water in the sink and started to push the potato peels down the drain. Now, for those of you who are reading this and thinking, "Lauren, you're not supposed to put potato peels down the disposal," my response is: "I know that...now." After a few seconds, it became clear that there was a problem when the disposal started to growl at me.

At this point, I did what any good wife does when something breaks--ask my husband to come and fix it. Jeffrey came in and thought we might be able to grind down the peels that were trapped if we let the disposal run for a few more seconds. He ran a little water in the sink and turned on the disposal again, and a tidal wave of frothy potato water splashed all over both of us and the bar, the sink, the countertop, and the kitchen floor. Lovely.

After sticking our hands down into the potato filth of our drain and trying to physically unstick the clog, Jeffrey thought we might be able to plunge the sink clean. He tried using the drain stopper to plunge the drain, but to no avail. (And we found out that doing this ALSO causes the trapped water to erupt out of the drain like a potato geyser onto the floor.)

At this point, we got desperate. It was time to bring in the big guns. Jeffrey went to the store to buy a full-sized plunger, and as he was on his way home, I fixed the sink. (You have to clog the other side of the double sink to create a good seal to plunge the clogged side--who knew?)

In other news, I met my academic advisor today from the dental school. I had a great time talking to him, and he gave me some really great advice, but I still somehow ended up leaving the meeting feeling like an underachiever. Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that my advisor is a retired colonel from the US Air Force, fluent in German and English, has an M. D. and a D. D. S. (completed dental school and medical school, in other words), works regular ER and OR rotations, is a part time faculty member, and a lobbyist in Congress for access to health care in America. What a guy! I can't even make mashed potatoes--haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment