Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Studying Habits, Interrupted

I haven't posted in a few days...did anyone miss me? Haha.

We had a series of tests last week and this week that took up all of my blogging time--Boo! Lucky for you readers, though, there is always seems to be some funniness that comes out of any difficult situation.

Now, I'm not trying to complain about my tests. In fact, I'm relatively happy with my grades received and I just think that complaining on a blog is silly. (I mean, we all have things to complain about...and no one wants to read anyone else's complaints!)

Suffice it to say, though, that I had to study a lot over the last few days. A lot lot.
To set up my studying story, you must know this: My brother is a big time long-distance runner and he is great at it. He is one of those people who feels refreshed after running 10 miles. (As opposed to the other 98% of the population who just feels like vomiting and/or dying after such a run.) Greg, and many other runners, always talk about the "Runner's High" that they get after they push past the pain at the beginning of their race. I've never understood the concept of this runner's high. I ran (ahem...jogged) cross-country in high school, and we used to run up to six or seven miles at a time, but I guess my runner's high point is somewhere in the great abyss beyond 6 or 7 miles. The world will never know, trust me.

This morning, though, I found my "Study-er's High." Last night I attempted to stay up late to study for my test that was this morning, but I'm not much of a night person, so I finally went to bed when I realized that studying like this....



was not going to get me an A...or a B or C.

Instead I went to bed and resolved to get up at 5:00 am to finish up before class. I lay my head down on the pillow, and then my alarm went off (that's what it felt like to me, anyway)! I grudgingly got out of the warm bed and booted up my computer for a couple hours of hard labor. I studied and studied and studied until I felt like I knew it all. Then I looked at the clock--5:15 am! I had covered 100+ power point slides and 40 pages of notes in 15 minutes!

This is the Study-er's High. It's like a superpower that only strikes a few times per year for me. It doesn't happen often, but it's amazing each time. It's like I can go into a different plateau of focus and speed study. Maybe I'm the only weirdo that this happens to, but for all of you who are in school, I wish you all at least one Study-er's High session. I love it!

And for you readers who love kitties, I leave you with this funny picture that I found on the internet that I though was hilarious but didn't know any stories I could tell with it. (Jenae Hubbard, here is a kitty for you!)


No comments:

Post a Comment