Wednesday, December 31, 2008

You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch

A cherished family tradition of mine is "Family Christmas" which is a dinner/Christmas celebration with people who technically aren't family, but who are friends that are as close as family.

One of the families there have two little girls, Macy and Zoey. Macy is about 5 years old and provided much of the entertainment for me this year. My mom had called Macy's dad earlier that day to ask if "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" (the one with Jim Carey) would be a good movie for them to watch. Macy's dad quickly said, "NO!" My mom was surprised and asked why not, and he told her that Macy had loved the movie the first time she had seen it, and then seen a big inflatable Grinch in someone's yard. Apparently she thought that seeing that inflatable Grinch meant that he was real. Since then, she had refused to go anywhere near fireplaces (how the Grinch enters houses) or watch the movie again.

Macy and I were talking later that night, and here's how it went:

Macy: Green used to be my favorite color, but the Grinch is green, so I lost it.
Me: Oh, Macy! I'm so sorry. Do you have other favorite colors?
Macy: *Sigh* Yes...I kinda like pink. But I also lost blue.
Me: Really? What happened to blue?
Macy: (completely serious) I don't know...I just...lost it.

Funny how those little minds think, right? Her parents also said that Macy has been complaining about wanting her room to be repainted, because you guessed it--it's green.

No comments:

Post a Comment