Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Silly things that happen at school--Part 62

Yet another chapter in the blog about silly things that happen at school.

Today. Middle of a riveting (yeah, right) Microbiology lecture, the fire alarm sounded. Being the intellectuals we are, the class immediately started discussing, debating, and taking secret ballot votes on whether or not it was a real fire or just a drill.

Eventually, the teacher made us go. He didn't even count all the secret ballots. Welcome to the dictatorship.

Anyway, as it turns out, it was just a drill. In some ways, the fact that it was only a drill made the whole situation more annoying to me. I mean, I know that I joked about us debating on whether it was a drill rather than just going outside, but let's be honest: We are students in dental school and medical school with teachers who have a minimum of 7 abbreviated letters after their names...do they really think we can't find an exit in case of emergency?

I'm sure it's some sort of fire code or national law or something, but really really really shouldn't those drills stop after 4th grade?

Also, do they think that if there is a real fire we will have time to get out? We go to school in a place chock-full of compressed oxygen tanks, nitrous tanks, and liquid helium containers...I'm thinking there would be some serious exploding fireworks before we managed to get out of there. (Morbid, but true.)

It was all worth it, though, because when we came back in the lecture hall twenty minutes later our teacher said, "Class, since that fire drill took up 20 minutes of our lecture time and we have a test over this material on Monday, we will omit this portion of the material for the test. I love you guys, have a lovely day."

Except wait...that's just what I wanted him to say. Instead he said, "The information I just did NOT cover WILL be on your test on Monday. I hate all of you and I'm trying to ruin your Superbowl weekend."

Can you believe that?

No comments:

Post a Comment