Monday, April 20, 2009

An Accidental Dinner Party

My mom is an incredible cook. Her mashed potatoes melt in your mouth, her cherry pies have the perfect balance of sweetness and tartness, and her barbeque chip chicken is a hit every time.

Someday, I hope that I can be half the cook that she is. But that day was not Saturday.

On Saturday I made a crock pot lasagna recipe that I've been wanting to try for a while. I had purchased all the ingredients about a week ago at the store and I was so excited to put it all together. After putting all the ingredients into careful layers in the crock pot, I thought, "Wow, that sure looks like a lot of food for two people."

It was only at that moment that I looked back at the recipe and saw that it said: "Makes 8 Servings." 8 Servings! Being the amateur cook that I am, I had completely forgotten to check the recipe and adjust accordingly for a two-person meal. (A mistake my mom has never made--at least, not that I know of!)

With all the ingredients in the pot, however, there was no turning back. I quickly called some friends of ours and asked if they could come over to dinner. They were luckily free on such short notice, and said that they would love to come to our impromptu dinner party.

Of course, being the Martha Stewart (minus insider trading knowledge) that I am, I decided that since we were having company, we might as well use the china. And since we were using the china, we might as well use the crystal. And since we were having a fancy dinner on the china we had to have dessert. And everyone knows that tiramisu is the best dessert pairing with lasagna, so I made a tiramisu.

Delizioso! (As the Italians say of their own tiramisu.)

And so it was that my little accident turned into a lovely night with friends. Our pretty china and crystal are below, but the tiramisu was gone too quickly to take a picture!

2 comments:

  1. your tablescape looks beautiful! i'm glad you had a chance to use some of your wedding gifts

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been married 5+ years and it is still exciting to me to create an opportunity to get to use the "good stuff."
    Glad you enjoyed a nice evening with friends!!

    ReplyDelete