Friday, April 17, 2009

Just My Luck


Once upon a time I had a roommate who was a very sweet girl with one major flaw: she picked the most terrible movies in the entire world, and always thought they were good. Every predictable, uninteresting, girly, silly movie ever made was inevitably her "aww...that's my FAY-vor-ite!" Needless to say, the movie "Just My Luck" starring Lindsey Lohan quickly entered her favorites category, and the rest of our house was forced to watch it in support of her. The movie is the story of a girl (Lohan) who is lucky all the time--she wins scratch off money from lottery tickets, gets great jobs, always has the perfect amount of change at toll booths, etc...until she kisses a boy with constant bad luck. The rest of the movie is about Lohan's character trying to get another kiss so that she can return to her lucky life.

Sounds terrible, right? As it turns out, I'm really glad that I watched that movie, because today I felt like I was actually in it...

This morning started out innocently, I woke up early to study for a test that I had today, so I was happy when Jeffrey suggested that we swing by Starbucks to get coffee before class. We picked up our coffee, paying with a giftcard (my favorite way to buy things!), and continued on to class. Jeffrey suggested that he drop me off at the back door so I could hurry into the library to squeeze in a little more study time before my test at 9. [Enter bad luck.]

On the way to the library, I was thinking about my first week at school. I remembered that I had taken the exact same route to the library that first week with two of my brand new friends, Carly and Hannah. That day, I was wearing some wide-leg dress pants and pretty pointed toe shoes. That day, the pointed toe shoes got caught in the wide leg dress pants and I tripped a little on the way to the library. I was very embarrassed because I didn't know Carly and Hannah very well and I had just tripped over my own shoes like a goober.

Immediately after remembering my past goober-ness, I tripped on the stairs today, except this time, I fell all the way to the ground, throwing my coffee, laptop bag, and purse on the concrete in an effort to keep my face from being the point of impact of the fall. My face survived the fall, thanks to some scrapes on my heroic hands. My coffee, on the other hand (well, technically, in no hands), did not survive. I hadn't even taken a sip.

I studied in the library until my test, and took my test at 9. I finished around 9:30, but didn't want to go to my 10-12 lecture, so I wandered around school, read some blogs, and did a little studying. I waited around until 12 because that is when our loupes representatives were coming to adjust our loupes.

At 12 I found out that the loupes reps were coming at 1.

At 1 I found out that the loupes reps weren't coming at all.

I stayed at school for 3 1/2 hours for absolutely no reason. On my way out of school I stopped to use the restroom. I pushed open the unlocked door of the last stall only to be met by the surprised face of one of my professors who was using that toilet. Awesome.

After exchanging awkward looks and apologies, I decided to use a different toilet and went immediately home. I'm not leaving the house anymore today. I just don't feel like the force is with me.

Just my luck.

2 comments:

  1. But thank you for letting some people laugh WITH you -- though I totally didn't laugh at spilling your coffee. I'm not even a coffee drinker, but if it had been a Route 44 Diet Coke ... tears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the only reason i ever saw that movie was because a band i kind of like (McFly) was in it.

    ReplyDelete