Friday, January 7, 2011

Talking After Midnight


This afternoon when I got home from school, Jeffrey and I spent some time sitting in our backyard talking about our days together while watching Dixie sprint frantically up and down the fence line each time she heard a neighborhood dog bark.

Suddenly, Jeffrey started laughing and asked, "Do you remember what you said last night when I came to bed?"

I didn't, because I had gone upstairs early last night to watch a little TV and promptly fell asleep with the lights still on. Apparently by the time Jeffrey got into bed, I was solidly in a deep sleep. I don't remember him getting into the bed, and I don't remember any of the following conversation that Jeffrey promises happened exactly as written below:

Lauren (talking to the dog, as Jeffrey starts to get into bed): Come on, Dixie, better make room for "once" (pronounced "own-say," the Spanish word for eleven)
Jeffrey: What?
Lauren: Yeah, I'm one and Dixie's one. That's once.
Jeffrey: WHAT?!?!?
Lauren: [no response. still sleeping.]

Even my subconscious is bad at math.

No comments:

Post a Comment