Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I'd rather go to the dentist

Lots of people say that they'd rather go anywhere than to the dentist. My friend Lacie found one who'd rather go to the dentist than where he has to go.

Her patient (we'll call him Mr. X) was a good patient who came in regularly and was almost finished with his treatment. The last thing he needed was a crown. Lacie explained to him that it would take her one appointment to prepare his tooth for the crown and get an impression, then she would put a temporary crown on him until the lab made the real one. He would come back for a second appointment to get the real crown put on.

Unfortunately, the next time he came to school (to have the real crown put on) he had a full set of braces on. He proudly said to Lacie, "Look what I got!"

She said, "I can't put your crown on until I talk to your orthodontist!"

So that day he left without any treatment. Lacie talked to his orthodontist and got the all-clear to put the crown on, so she scheduled an appointment with Mr. X for a few days later. Lacie got a call the next day.

Mr. X: Lacie, um...I had something come up. Is there any way I can get that crown put on tomorrow?

Lacie: Well, I already have another patient scheduled for tomorrow. Is it an emergency?

Mr. X: Yeah, sort of. There's a warrant out for my arrest, so I pretty much need to hurry and turn myself in before they come get me.

Lacie: [Thinking to herself--So glad I gave this ex-convict my cell phone number. I wonder what he's in for...] Well, I guess I can shuffle some things around and get you in tomorrow.

Mr. X: Thanks! 'Cause I'm probably going to be in there for 3 years or so, so I want to get everything taken care of before I go in.

Lacie: [Seriously, what did he do???] Ok, great. See you tomorrow.

Lacie told me the next day that her biggest dilemma was what to say as her patient left that appointment.

See you later...um...or, until next time...oh...uh...good luck...uh...

(I suggested, "Don't drop the soap," but she didn't think that was good either.)

Hope you have the (hard) time of your life, Mr. X!

1 comment:

  1. Ohh… He must be really afraid of his dentist, although, I don't think there's anything wrong with consulting to your dentist. It's even fun going to a dentist appointment!

    ReplyDelete