Sunday, March 27, 2011

It's a piece of cake

I just read a hilarious email from a college friend who caught us up on her work and personal life happenings and then ordered Jeffrey to tweet more, and reminded me that I hadn't posted about my cake class.

Casey, this one's for you.

Let's revisit the "before" cake...

Cute, colorful, simple. Nothing very impressive, though. Hopefully you'll see the improvement as we go along.

In cake class one we decorated cookies. Some of our creations:



Cake class two we did a one layer cake with some little flowers.




Cake class three was more flowers on cupcakes.



Cake class four was icing roses. The holy grail of cake decorating. Before I show you my cake, I'll have to do a little explaining. Each time we went to class, we had to drive our plain cookies/cupcakes/cakes over to Michael's, braving rush hour's texting teens and aggressive soccer moms' vans. This wasn't too much trouble when it was just cookies and cupcakes, but for the last class, we had to bring a two layer cake.

In an attempt to save a little time, I hadn't leveled my cake. I thought I'd be able to correct any height discrepancies with icing. Had I been thinking scientifically (Why didn't I pay attention in Physics class?!?), I would have realized that not leveling the cake put lots of stress on the center of the cake, and the pressure in the center coupled with the vibration of the car ride over equals...

It's Not My San Andreas Fault Cake



If you look carefully at the pictures, there are dark spots under the flowers where the cake cracked. The split was at first concealable with gaudy globs of icing, but after a trip to Abilene for a March birthday extravaganza, it became...

The Plumber's Crack Cake (with roses!)

I made lots of jokes about the cake being "pre-cut" and "perforated, for easy serving," but honestly I was a little disappointed in my final cake. It was supposed to be my magnum opus, and instead it was more of a magnum oops-us. Luckily, I have a chance to redeem myself this weekend because I'm making a cake for a baby shower. Hopefully it will be a piece of cake!

1 comment:

  1. It's a good thing you write cursive already because writing in cursive in icing is hard! Thanks for the shout-out!

    ReplyDelete