Thursday, May 21, 2009

Summer in the City

You might be wondering: What exactly are Lauren and Jeffrey doing now that school has ended for summer break? Wonder no longer...

Jeffrey started an internship of sorts with a physician in San Antonio. Jeffrey goes every weekday to his office and shadows the doctor as he sees patients. I'll leave it to Jeffrey to talk about all the cool things he has seen and learned about, but suffice it to say that he is learning there is quite a bit of prostate examining that goes on at a general practice. Yikes--I'm glad my future line of work is on the other end of the body!

I was forced/encouraged to enroll in a summer elective course this year, so I chose to do an online course. Online courses are lovely. You can learn at your own pace, take a break, "go to class" in your robe, and so on--that is, unless the school has closed the website for maintenance, in which case you are just sitting in your robe at home and wondering if you will get to finish your course by the deadline without actually being able to view the course material online. Oh, dental school, you are truly a force to be reckoned with.

With the absence of homework to do and subjects to study, Jeffrey has come to fill his time with the many baseball games on TV. I don't particularly like watching sports on TV, but I've found an interesting way to entertain myself--I discuss the misnomers of baseball lingo. One might think there's not much to discuss, but as it turns out, there are so many things that can be said. We had a thirty minute conversation last night about the phrase "no hitter" because I said, "Shouldn't they call it a 'no runner' or a 'no base-r'?" Jeffrey said, "No. It's a no hitter. A hit doesn't count unless you get a base." To which I responded, "But you actually do hit the ball, and to say that you didn't is just plain lying." Jeffrey rolled his eyes and said something to the effect of: "If you knew about baseball, you would understand." Then the announcer said something like, "Last inning the Rangers batted out in order." I laughed and said, "Of course they got out in order, they always have a batting order, right?" Jeffrey threatened to jump off the balcony to escape my ignorance of the nomenclature of "America's Favorite Pastime."

Today was a day at the pool. Beautiful! And strangely devoid of the usual riff-raff that hangs out at our apartment's pool area. Perhaps they only come out on the weekends. I keep trying to convince Jeffrey we need a pool float like the one below--he disagrees.

I've also been making more baby gifts for all my little pregger friends. Pictures to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment