Thursday, February 19, 2009

I'd like to file a complaint...

Last night I spent about an hour going through piles of papers with my husband so that we could file our taxes and give the school what they needed to process our financial aid for the coming school year. The school had sent Jeffrey and me an email asking for certain documents. Below are the papers that I turned in to the financial aid office this morning:

For my records
Copies of my 3 W-2 forms
Copies of Jeffrey's 2 W-2 forms
A signed copy of our 1040 income tax file
A signed copy of an independent status worksheet
Electronically submitted FAFSA form
For Jeffrey's records
Copies of my 3 W-2 forms
Copies of Jeffrey's 2 W-2 forms
A signed copy of our 1040 income tax file
A signed copy of an independent status worksheet
Electronically submitted FAFSA form

I felt like a weight had been lifted when I turned in all those papers. (And literally, a weight had been lifted...that's a lot of papers to carry around in a laptop bag!)

Then I got a phone call from the financial aid office. Guess what? They need me to fill out another form. And they will need a copy from Jeffrey, too.

You've GOT to be kidding me!

The form we lack is actually kind of funny. It's called the "Low Income Form" and it basically says at the top, "Wow, you guys reported a minuscule income for the entire year--either you've lied to the IRS and have secret cash-flow, or you know about some financial secret and we want to know it!" The form then lists 10 ways you could have survived in the last year making less than $5000. Our box? "We live on student loans."

Check mark!

Anyway, after all that hassle, I felt like filing a complaint--

...until I realized that a complaint would indeed require the completion of another form.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I'm glad that surviving on a low income is good for SOMETHING -- if only requiring another form. Oy.

    I most definitely think you are part of the SoHills family and when I get around to updating, I'll include your blog (later, if it becomes a GINORMOUS blog roll, you may get 're-allocated' to 'blogs of interest' of folks that don't necessarily attend SoHills -- for now, not an issue AND I'm totally the blog queen, so I get to choose! :-)

    Link will be here:http://www.southernhillschurch.org/blogroll

    I'm glad to know you have one!

    ReplyDelete