Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Radiation Hazard!

Last week I started a Radiology rotation to learn how to take X-rays of the mouth. My very first partial set of radiographs are shown below. (I took those!)

Now choose your own adventure--
If you are not a dentist, read section A
If you are a dentist, read section B

A--Aren't those radiographs beautiful?! I mean, aren't they the most beautiful films of teeth you've ever seen? It's just so amazing how someone like me can have a real innate talent for something. Sometimes I surprise myself on how wonderful I can be.

B--Yeah, they aren't perfect. Closed contacts, shadows, foreshortening...but hey, it was my first time. I'll get better, right? Give me a break, why don't you?

In addition to learning about radiology, I also learned in that rotation that a small group of dental students + little sleep (due to a week of about a bazillion tests) + long radiology rotation = fun pictures! Observe...

How many future dentists does it take...
Everything looks better looking through X-ray holder colored glasses? Please notice my friend Maegan in the background...apparently plotting to kill me.
We use dummies to practice before we unleash our unsteady hands on patients. My friend James, though, is already wielding that X-ray tube like a pro.
#1 rule of radiation: Keep a fat lead wall between yourself and the beams (as demonstrated by Alli and James). Unless, of course, you are looking for a quick way to become infertile.

Also, as I loaded these pics on my computer, I realized that I had a funny Christmas picture of my brother to show. Yes, he wrapped his own presents this year, but check out the creative gift tag...(Get it? It says, "To Pa & Ma!")

No comments:

Post a Comment