Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Auditings and Baby Things

I have no patience. If you have read our blog before today, you already know this (example: I set up our Christmas tree before Thanksgiving because we bought it early).

The previous paragraph explains why, when I got the mail a few days ago, I simply could not wait until I got in the apartment to open it. Especially since the return address was ominously stamped "Internal Revenue Service." Even though Jeffrey's dad used to be an accountant, Jeffrey and I decided to do our taxes on our own this year. How hard could it be?

Box 1: How much money did you make this year?
Answer: Not very much.
Boxes 2 through 1000: How much of your earned income did you invest/spend on ---?
Answer: None at all.
Box 3: Would you like your $12 that was withheld to be paid back to you by check or direct deposit?
Answer: Check.

Done with our taxes.

Honestly, it was a little more complicated than that, but not by much. We filled our form out together, gathered all of our W-2 forms, copied everything and sent it into the IRS. I thought that we would qualify for an education tax credit (which we do), but unfortunately you can only receive a tax credit if you end up needing to pay taxes for the year, which we did not. (Yay for being in the lowest tax bracket!)

Anyway, when I saw the letter in the mail I was worried that we had messed up on our taxes and were now going to have all our money taken away. (Which, in a sense, would be good, because then the government would have to pay the interest on our loans.) I opened the letter, and it said something like "Mr. and Mrs. Edwards, it appears that you have made a mistake on your 1040 form." Dang it. After pouting out my lip and beginning to cry at the thought of having to pay the government more money from our meager earnings from 2008, I finished reading the letter. It continued: "We have corrected the mistake for you, and found that the government OWES you $600 more dollars. If you believe this to be correct, you do not have to do anything, simply wait for your check in the mail."

Cha-Ching!

(As an aside: For those of you who are reading this and thinking "Ugh--I hate Jeffrey and Lauren for getting all that money back!" Just remember: Doctor + Dentist = Money - Taxes for a Doctor and a Dentist = Lots less money. The IRS will have their revenge someday soon.)

I'm about to tell you about a baby gift, so if your name is Courtney Mayfield, don't read anymore of this post!

(Seriously, Courtney...don't scroll down.)

Courtney is one of my friends from college, and she found out last week that she is going to have a little baby girl! I got so excited when I read it on her blog that I immediately made her some little baby burp rags. I just used some scrap material from a quilt that I made and some lace that I picked up at the store, but they turned out so cute! Hopefully they will be the cutest thing their baby ever spits up on!




I know that I used blue for a baby girl, but it's a really cute blue and I made ruffles! That counts, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment