Sunday, March 1, 2009

Something for Nothing

Some people say there is no such thing as something for nothing...not so, says I!

For the last few weeks, it seems I have stumbled upon several coupons or promotions for free food and drink.

Found under those beautiful golden arches at McDonald's. The big yellow marquis read, "Free latte Friday." I asked our friendly McD's worker (I jest: in truth he was rather unfriendly, and perhaps under the influence of a narcotic)what "free latte Friday" meant. He responded, "I think it's that you like, come in on Friday and get a free coffee." I asked if there was any purchase necessary--he said, "I don't know."

Helpful.

Undeterred, I returned to that drive-thru on Friday, and a cheerful voice said, "Welcome to McDonald's! Would you like a free latte?" I did want a free latte. I got a free latte. And then I got two more free lattes the following two Fridays. I'm lovin' it! I must admit, I thought for a long while about driving to separate McDonald's locations to get more free coffee each Friday, but I realized that that would be considered by most to be "abusing the privilege" of Free Latte Fridays (and is a little bit insane).

After the McD's coffee love was born, I was doing my usual weekend routine (clipping coupons) when I came upon an entire sheet of coupons for free coffee at McDonald's. Several required the purchase of a sandwich, but some required no purchase at all. And, as luck would have it, the coupon people accidentally gave us two copies of this flyer, so we got double the freebies!

My sweet husband has gotten into the habit of waking before me on Saturdays (which is not as hard as it sounds--I get up at 9:00 on Saturdays) and going to get us breakfast. Last Saturday he got McDonald's because we had the coupons. (We really don't eat at McD's as often as this post makes it sound like--promise.) Anyway, when he came back, I was unpacking the food from the to-go bag and saw that they had given us two coffee sleeves that are coupons for free mochas or lattes!

I'm not sure, but I think McDonald's is just SOOOO into us!

I'm an official blog-stalker now (definition: someone who reads blogs written by people he or she does not know in any way), and on one of the blogs I read I heard about the Quizno's Million Sub Giveaway. Quizno's would create a printable coupon for a free sub sandwich to anyone who visited their website and entered some personal information (undoubtedly they will use this information to spam us to death, but hey--I'll endure a lot of pain for a free meal). Friday for lunch--free Honey Bourbon Chicken Sandwich. Delicious.

Finally, Jeffrey got sent a coupon for a "buy one entree, get one free" at Friday's, so last night we ate there for a little date. Don't worry though, he still paid for me--my meal was more expensive, so his was the free one!

Doesn't stuff just taste better when it's free?!

No comments:

Post a Comment