Monday, March 2, 2009

A Conversation with Greatness

For those of you out there who know me, this post will (hopefully) make you laugh.

For those of you who don't know me, allow me to give you a short introduction to my family. I have a wonderful mom and dad, a sweet baby sister who is almost as tall as me, and a brother who is beyond description.

This is Tommy.



(Actually, that's me and Tommy at Thanksgiving pretending like we're smoking cigars when actually they're those cinnamon-cookie-straw things.)

Anyway, my brother is a pretty funny kid. And for a Down syndrome kid, he has pretty high levels of intelligence, problem solving, and tactile function. He is a master at Guitar Hero - and by master, I mean he can beat most songs on medium. But don't ask him to sing, because you won't get more than a minute into the song. He's a little tone deaf. He has a Facebook page and will write on any wall that he comes across. He can tie his own shoes, bathe and dress himself, and speak in both grammatically-correct English and the English (maybe?) that one might hear on MTV or in rap music. Yes, considering all of his limitations, he is a pretty high-functional dude.

But like all true heroes, he has a flaw - and his is spelling.

Tommy and I text quite often, but yesterday's conversation (via text) was so funny that I decided to post the transcript on our blog.

Everything you are about to read is true. At no point has the text, spelling, or punctuation been altered. Names have remained the same because we don't need to protect the innocent. Also, at one point it may seem as though he was asking about something that only husbands and wives do, but don't worry - read closely and you'll see he wasn't.

So sit back, try to decipher his code, and enjoy!


[Curtain rises]


Tommy: We got the no the texas rangers rudy jaramillo.

Me: What?

Tommy: A new guy on the texas rangers rudy jaramillo

Me: He's not new. Is the game on the radio?

Tommy: Ok. Are you doing with my sister law?

Me: We're studying. What are you doing?

Tommy: My facebook!

Me: Tell dad to help you turn the radio to KRLD and tell me the score

Tommy: What game

Me: The rangers game fool

Tommy: Ok.

Tommy: What the score is.

Me: I don't know. I'm asking you

Tommy: I dont now.

Me: Find it on the radio dork

Tommy: The scoer is the 4 to 1!

Me: Thanks

Tommy: Ok. Are you no facebook!

Me: No I'm studying

Tommy: When you be done!

Me: Later

Tommy: Ok. When you be the si lucker!

Tommy: What you doing man. Are you doing facebook!

Me: No, I'm studying dork

Tommy: What you doing. Are you doing our homework.

[End scene]


My favorite part was when I asked him if the game was on the radio and he replied with, "Ok." Didn't even try to answer my question...what a guy. I sincerely hope that has brightened everyone's Monday morning.

Until next time...

Good night, and good luck

--Jeffrey

4 comments:

  1. My precious guys-only a mom could love and appreciate! But I do!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the text. I really enjoyed meeting your brother at your wedding. You are all blessed with an angel on earth.

    ReplyDelete